I find everyday presents inspirations for projects. Hope you enjoy my ideas.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Burlap Wine Gift Bags


It's Christmas time, thought I'd make up some new wine gift bags. I made some last year, they're super cute but labor intensive.  These went together quickly, mostly because they're not lined.  I had burlap leftover from the placemats so figured I could put it to good use.
I started with pieces of burlap approximately 9"x15".
I used my Cricut and cut designs out of freezer paper

once they were ironed on it was time to dab on the fabric paint

after you've put on a good coat of paint, peel off the freezer paper stencil

once dry, heat set with an iron
To sew the bag,  place a printed piece with a blank
piece, right sides together and sew side seams.  Serging is best
because the burlap frays easily.
to create the "box" pleat base fold in the sides like this:

and sew along bottom (careful to "catch" all the raw edges)
you might want to double stitch to make sure it holds securely 
turn right side out and iron the box pleat to create the base

serge (or zigzag) the top raw edge 
fold the top edge in about 3"- 4"and iron
(this will make the placket for the twine and
create a ruffle along the bottle neck)
Put two eyelets in just above the bottom of the turned over edge
and topstitch all around the bag above and below them 
(makes about a 1/2" wide placket)
feed twine thru the placket you created, cinch up and tie with a bow












5 comments:

  1. Oh my, you did it again. I'm loving these!

    Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I just found your blog thru Sew, Mama, Sew and I'm delighted with your projects. I've never tried to paint fabric; is there a special brand of paint you recommend? I searched for fabric paint at amazon in the UK (I live in Europe) and they have several colors by Dylon. Is it what you use? I'll be thankful for any advice, thanks!
    Paula (ap_lemos at yahoo dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your informative article and considering the points you made. You make a lot of sense on internet & mobile marketing as a topic. Thank you for such an informative post.


    jute gift bags

    ReplyDelete